Sunday 3 April 2022

Wake up, but don't smell the coffee

Maybe it was having to work in just about every year group because half our teachers were off. Maybe it was the 5 year old who kindly sprayed all over the right side of my face while I built lego with them.

Whatever it was, I have finally bowed to the inevitable and contracted Covid. It's amazing that Sue and I have avoided it this far. To be fair, it doesn't feel like a life or death threat any more, no more than other possibilities in life.

I sort of knew it was coming when I had some strange goings on in the preceding week. Standing in the polytunnel tending to my overwintered young plants, like a bolt from the blue I suddenly woke up with the ground falling away from me and the potting bench sliding away.
Of course, the one who'd had a wobble was actually me! Weird! I was lucky really, half a second longer and I could have been giving my head an unhealthy crack on the floor.

Covid me and post Covid
(thought he difference has absolutely nothing to do with Covid
and the second image is only due to public pressure!

I don't want to make light of Covid in any way, but the timing was good, taking me straight into a two week Easter holiday.

I was generous with it too. Sue is about 3 days behind me, so hopefully will be testing negative in a  couple of days as I did yesterday.

So how was it different to any other illness. Well, there were a few strange symptoms. The brief spells of dizziness for one. The complete exhaustion that appeared from nowhere. I spent a week working outside in half hour slots. The complete lack of taste (no cheeky comments!) and absolutely no sense of smell, not even coffee, not even bonfires, not even ... well,  no need to go any further. The constant thick head was a pain, though this had been lingering for a week before the positive test confirmation. The back ache and aching body (even more than creeping old age gifts me) was, looking back on it, another sign that a positive test was on its way.

And on the day of the positive test, I blamed the bouts of sneezing on early tree pollen, at least until my nose started running literally like a tap.


We're both relieved to finally have had it. I don't think it will be the last time. With the government having given up on any control measures, it is rampant in school and many children have had multiple infections. I just hope there are no more nasty twists and turns in this story as we seem to have totally dismantled our defences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...