Sunday 24 April 2022

Avian delights

Every year we look forward to the swallows returning to the farm. As April progresses the anticipation rises, until one day, usually while I've got my head down in the veg plot, the chattering song of a swallow interrupts the sounds I am used to.

This year the first one returned on 18th April.  And here it is.



Over the next few weeks the number of swallows on the farm will increase and they will start to construct their nests in the stables. But they are not the only birds nesting on the farm. In fact, that I know of, nearly forty species have bred on the farm. I don't actively search for the nests but this past week I've had a couple of close encounters. 

Whilst undertaking a major overhaul of my shed space, including replacement rooves to stop the rain accumulating and pouring through the roof, I came across a nest on a shelf. As surprised as me, a robin darted out.





Fortunately I was able to continue clearing out the shed, making as few visits as possible. It surprised me how long the babies, quite probably only a day old, were left alone. If they thought I was a robin bringing food, they opened their beaks in anticipation. If they cottoned on that I wasn't a robin, they sat tight, resembling an insignificant ball of fur. I look forward to the day the fledge.

And in another shed I came across another nest, this one less surprising as the same bird has nested there for the last three year, thanks to a slipped pane of glass allowing access through the window.
This one is a blackbird's nest. We seem to have a lot of blackbirds this year.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...