Saturday 17 June 2017

A Plague of Strawberry Seed Beetles

Sometimes things do not go according to plan.

Rotten Strawberries


My strawberry plants have been looking extremely healthy with masses of young strawberries on them. Last year we had problems with them all rotting, but I weeded them out and tended to them over the winter. However, an old farmer had said that my rows were way too wide.

A few days ago I began to notice that my strawberries had something very wrong with them. Even the hard green fruits were developing brown marks on them and many were rotting way before they were anywhere near ripe.
I searched and searched the internet for the cause, but all that I could come up with was leather rot, and this only featured on American websites. It didn't completely match what I was seeing either. However, it certainly seemed to be fungal in nature, whatever it was, so I decided there could be no harm thinning the rows to let more air between the plants.
I drove the rotavator straight through the middle of the rows, up and down, picking off any damaged plants and brown fruits. I enlisted the help of Sue and the dogs, as this was quite a big job. It was quite depressing too, for most of the fruit needed taking off the plants.

All I can hope is that the plants can grow new fruits which will thrive better with increased air circulation.
If not, I may have to move the strawberry patch which would be very demoralising. I have put a lot of work into creating it and have had very, very little reward by way of strawberries. I thought they would be coming out of our ears!

A Plague of Beetles
On a separate matter, we have been absolutely inundated with ground beetles for the past couple of weeks. They are literally everywhere, even in the house. Last night Sue left a jug of water in the front room and there were 15 beetles swimming around in the morning!
As far as I was aware, ground beetles are good. They eat slug eggs among other things.

HOWEVER, curious as to whether this plague of beetles was peculiar to our farm, I went searching on the internet. First step was to identify them, which was fairly straight forward as they have clearly orange legs. So I typed into an image search orange-legged ground beetle and up came a matching picture - the strawberry seed beetle.





And here the two parts of this story come together.
It didn't take long for my search to hit on pictures of damaged strawberries with the damage exactly matching what is happening to our strawberries.

Further research reveals that this species is widespread throughout much of the world. It is in the adult stage that it is a pest of unripe seeds, anything from strawberries to grains and sugar beet. It is also an important insect for controlling other unwanted bugs, though this is of little use when it has caused so much damage itself.

For the moment the beetles seem to have largely left the strawberry bed and headed en masse into the house! Every evening they literally emerge from the woodwork and I am catching 20 to 30 before I go to bed.
It looks like, with luck, we will manage to salvage some sort of strawberry crop but I am a little concerned about future years. My best hope is that this has been a bumper year for Harpalus rufipes and that in future a more healthy balance will be restored.


For the moment I'm afraid the strawberry seed beetle will receive no mercy.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I am having a problem with a pest that is eating the stems of the strawberries causing the unripened strawberry to fall to the ground. On close inspection I can see the seeds are eaten. How did manage to save your strawberries from the strawberry seed beetle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set jars into the ground and caught lots of beetles, but still much of the crop was ruined. In subsequent years numbers have been much more balanced with very little damage to strawberries. On the whole ground beetles are beneficial in the food plot as they devour slugs. Goodness knows what caused the population explosion in this one year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in North Essex and experiencing a similar explosion of ground beetles this year (June 2022). I've lost all my strawberries which look just the same as in your pictures. I'm glad to have found your post as I've never seen anything like this before and the strawberries are now the least of my worries - the beetles have been invading the house and an out building for the past two weeks in the same quantities you mention. I wonder what has triggered it. I notice your original post is from 2017. How long did it take for the invasion to subside? Was there anything you did to control them? Best wishes, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, I can't quite remember. It was a month or two I think. They don't really do any harm in the house, just a little disconcerting! The good news is we haven't had a recurrence, although this year there is a tiny bit of damage on the strawberries and I have seen a few beetles about, but nothing like 2017. A good friend of mine had it one year too, but never again, so don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, John. That's reassuring. I think they are beginning to subside - the outside of the house is no longer plastered with them at night time. Keeping the curtains drawn has helped as they're drawn by light. I've swept around the buildings, cleaned garden stores (found scores hiding in pots and boxes and under bricks) and tried your trick of jars and yoghurt pots in the ground, trapping large numbers that way. I'm not usually squeamish but the sheer quantity was alarming. Anyway, fingers crossed it's a temporary explosion and balance is restored soon. Thank you again for your response. Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...