Friday 2 April 2021

Bloomin' Lovely

A quick update.


We've had some spells of windy weather lately but the almond blossom managed to come out at just the right time so hopefully the bees will be getting a good chance to pollinate the flowers. In fact the garden has been full of contented buzzing this week. The willow catkins are alive with bees, the mirabelle plum hedge is in full blossom for the first time since I planted it and the ground is covered with the hue of red dead-nettles.

I have decided to embrace
red dead-nettles




















The mirabelle plum hedge is in blossom for the first time

For the first time we have frog spawn in the pond too which is very exciting news.






I planted my onion sets this week and my first early potatoes. There's not much to look at right now but it won't be long before the veg plot is full of crop plants again.


I've been busy in the polytunnel too, preparing poles for all the climbers. As well as tomatoes and cucumber, I want to grow squashes and melons vertically this year. I also have some sweet potato slips coming and a couple of more exotic climbers, groundnut and Madeira vine. It's time for another go at Yardlong beans too now that hopefully (fingers and everything else crossed) the red spider mite is on the retreat. I am using willow poles harvested from the pollard trees.




The big news is that Sue and I are old enough that we have had our first Covid vaccines but it doesn't quite feel like we can relax yet. A rare visit to Peterborough had us aghast at the sheer volume of people. I did manage to find two versions of eddoe in one of my favourite Asian supermarkets. 

Talking of eddoes, the bulbs I showed you last time have now been potted up and are doing really well. The ginger is growing too so the polytunnel should have a tropical feel to it this year.

On a sad note, the cat which appeared on the farm passed away. Sue found it under the straw store and at least made it comfortable for its last few hours..

Our turkey stag has gone into the freezer too. It seems he lost a battle with the young male and was looking very sorry for himself.  He was quite a size and I struggled to even carry him. We will miss him and the new turkey king will have to step up.

It is now the start of my Easter holiday and we have a few days of hot weather forecast. With the  equinox past, it will be a fortnight of hectic seed sowing and veg bed preparation. There'll be plenty to report on in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...