Sunday 25 November 2018

Woodcock Moon




Wednesday 21st November 2018
The dogs flushed a Woodcock from the path today. We only see these magnificent birds about once a year here on the farm. Is it a coincidence that the forthcoming full moon is known as the Woodcock Moon? (I much prefer this to the Beaver Moon, a name which is not exactly based in British tradition). This individual was two days early though.
Woodcocks do breed in this country, but many more Scandinavian birds winter here. It is a disgrace that shooting them is still legal.

I was thrilled to see a Barn Owl alight in the old Ash tree at dusk too - the first I've seen on the farm for quite a while now. And the influx of notable birds was supplemented by a calling Yellowhammer at the back of the turkey pen earlier in the afternoon, again the first of the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...