Monday 16 July 2012

Am I Going To Cheshire Today?

Well, no Northern Lights last night (at least not up till 1.30 in the morning).
But this was pretty spectacular at 4.50.

Monday 16th July 2012
Evolution of a sunrise.
It's now 6.33 and I'm just off down to give the animals an early morning feed and water.
A bit earlier than usual, but I'm on a state of full alert for the next few hours, ready to jump in my car and drive to Cheshire to see a Hudsonian Godwit. No news yet!

Just in case you're wondering what all the fuss is about, here's a link to the bird. It's the one with a pale head. The others are Black-tailed Godwits.


Midday update
Well, the bird was there this morning. Unfortunately it lifted it's wing to reveal a shiny white underwing which meant it was definitely not a Hudsonian Godwit.


Bit of a shame really since I'm now confined inside avoiding the rain. At least I got to pull some weeds this morning and clear a bit more ragwort from the meadow. I'm supposed to burn the stuff but that just ain't gonna happen for quite a while yet, so I've shoved it all into several old animal feed bags to keep it safe and stop it seeding.
I did come acroos another guinea egg in the meadow - I seem to be finding them all over the place at the moment. And I enjoyed watching a Marsh Harrier quartering over the fields - a rarer sight this year than last. Presumably they're not breeding so close.

As for that Hudsonian Godwit shaped gap on my UK list, that'll probably have to wait another decade or so! You never know.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...