Sunday 13 May 2018

The War On Slugs

Saturday 28th April 2018

The War Against Slugs
I made some new slug traps today from old plastic food pots. I am having a concerted attack on the blighters this year, using these techniques:
Night time hunts
Placing planks on the ground so the slugs shelter there during the day
Ducks - now living in the veg plot
Slug traps - filled with beer slops or, failing that, a sugar and yeast mix
Slug pellets - ferrous phosphate, organic and wildlife friendly (except slugs)
It is a battle which requires prolonged and sustained effort.




A New Home for the Table Birds

Next I moved the chicks from the broody ring in the garage. They have very quickly outgrown their space. They were very excited to discover the great outside, but even more excited by their new feeders!





Doing my bit to build a community
In the evening we had a local group of smallholders coming over. This is a group I started up as part of the Fenland Smallholders Club. We had a lovely evening and I am sure the group will go from strength to strength over the years. Everybody lives within a short distance of each other which means we should be able to coordinate some of our smallholding activities. Hopefully friendships will form and we will all be able to help each other out when we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...