Thursday 1 March 2018

When you get dangly bits in your beard














Sunday 25th February 2018
A new space for pumpkins
I wanted to move last year's cuttings and take this year's cuttings before spring breaks in March, but this week's weather forecast has put a halt to that.
For the moment we have frosty mornings and beautiful, sunny days.
So this morning it was out with the rotavator to begin shaping a couple of new veg beds. I just broke up the surface today, but a couple of more goes will have the grass turned in and the new beds ready to grow. They are going to be used for pumpkins and cuttings in alternate years.
I seem to be constantly reorganising the smallholding. Since the turkeys and Ixworths moved into the old pig pen, that space is no longer an option as an emergency holding pen for any sheep I need to keep away from the others.
So I have decided that the spare veg patch is to be sacrificed to make way for a small paddock with occasional use as a pig rearing pen. The mangels, the larger brassicas, the pumpkins and the cuttings will all have to squeeze in with the other vegetables.
At the moment that would be quite impossible, but where there's grass there's a future veg bed! The added bonus is that grass needs a lot more management than a veg bed, so I will be cutting down on mower time too.


Boris was especially keen to help today!


Though the problem with so much digging is how to get rid of the dangly bits that get stuck in your beard!Well, if you ever get that problem, I can confidently prescribe a good long walk with regular dips in icy dykes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...