Tuesday 12 December 2017

Snow reason to worry

Sunday 10th December 2017
A touch of the white stuff
Snow brings out the child in people. I woke up at 7.30am and peered out of the window to see if the forecast white stuff had come true. It had. Outdoors was a winter wonderland and the flakes were falling thick and fast.
Then I remembered I am an adult with a smallholding. The sheep need hay. The poultry will need checking. It'll be hand-stingingly cold. Then the inevitable slush, and mud, and wet animal bedding.



The dogs were a little bemused and Boris went running madly in circles around the poultry pen.
The ducks and geese seemed completely unperturbed. The chickens were less keen. The sheep just brushed it off lightly.

I on the other hand nearly got frostbite in my fingers and decided to stay inside in front of the fire.



We were on the edge of the snow band and got off lightly. By late morning the snow had turned to rain and by darkness most of it was well on the way to disappearing.

Monday 11th December 2017
Dentist day
Only one thing weighing heavily on my mind today - my visit to the dentist.
To take my mind off it I headed out to The Wash to spend some time out in the elements. I was looking for a Black Guillemot which had been about for a few days, a rare bird in Lincolnshire. I would have gone yesterday as this one was a good candidate for the High Arctic form which would be a first for me, but I had been put off by the weather.
As it happens that had been a bad decision. In the end Boston had been snow-free and today the bird did not put in an appearance. Still, it took my mind off the dentist.

Walking along the River Witham to where it meets The Wash
The dental visit went without incident. I was so pleased when my new dentist said she could do the two fillings without the need for injections.

I got back onto the smallholding just in time to witness a glorious sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...