Thursday 29 November 2018

Preparing the ground for growing more willows

Another spectacular sunset
Saturday 24th November / Sunday 25th November
I spent a couple of hours fighting with the electric fence!
I am giving over a small part of the sheep paddocks to growing basket willows and short rotation coppice (fast growing willow for firewood / chippings).
Rambo and his harem have done a great job of keeping the grass short so I can easily lay some fabric mulch ready for planting.


I have rearranged the fencing too so the chickens will have access straight into the willow copse. They should do a great job cultivating underneath the willow stools.


Meanwhile Sue has been busy. She finished an experimental circular rug using our own wool which she had dyed, then she turned her hand to Medlar and Rosemary Jelly and Green Tomato and Sultana Chutney.

Sue with Boris, Arthur and Gerry all helping her to make  a circular rug.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your busy life! I (on a whim) ordered 40 willow starts today, and found you in trying to figure out what on earth to do with them. Getting my husband to plow/till a spot for me seemed out of question, but I can cut some grass short and lay down fabric barrier! I do have to ask what are your intentions with the chickens? I have some new chicks and have them in a mobile pen right now...should their permanent home be among the willows? I'm sure they would help with insects, but how will they "cultivate" with the landscaping fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your new willows! The idea with the chickens is that once the willows grow enough they should hopefully develop sufficient canopy to shade out the grass underneath to the extent that it does not compete strongly with them. At this point I will remove the landscape fabric as I don't really like using the stuff and let the chickens take over. In the meantime, I purchased the thin fabric rather than the plastic stuff which frays into long strands which are very dangerous for wildlife. Unfortunately grass and nettles are already finding their way through, so I have started mulching over the top with grass cuttings every time I mow, also with wood chippings as I have a chipper. This is doing a great job. If you follow my blog there will be regular updates. One last thing. Do you have rabbits? If so, I would strongly advise protecting your new cuttings or they will get chewed. Fortunately I have a rabbit electric fence which I could connect to the sheep fence until the willows get established, but tree guards would do the job just as well.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...