Tuesday 12 June 2018

While the Turkey-Keeper's Away (in Turkey), the Turkeys will Lay

So I have been in Turkey for a little holiday. Birdwatching of course. A beautiful country. A massive thank you to Sue for looking after everything while I was away.

I was quick to check up on everything on my return. The lambs and sheep are doing well (apart from Rambutan losing a horn). The chickens and ducks are good. The vegetable garden is all under control, though I am having difficulty getting beans and carrots to germinate. We have had no more rain since I went away.

But it's the turkeys I want to talk about. The nine surviving poults are doing very well indeed. I am sure the warm, dry weather has helped greatly. They are now able to fly up onto the top of the shelter I made for them.


But yesterday I could not see the two hens. It didn't take long to find them together in one of the little houses. One of them laid an egg as I watched! This was a surprise, but no more than finding that this was the eighth egg they had stored up in the house.

As with last year, the hens have gone back into lay. It is still early, but if they are both laying then I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them start to sit in the near future.
We could certainly accommodate a second batch of turkeys. They are easy to sell at any age. In fact I would probably sell some of the first batch so that we end up with more of a progression of turkeys for the table.
Maybe I am getting ahead of myself though. I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...