Wednesday 7 March 2018

The cutest snow angel

I've just got to show you this from last week's snow.
The harshest element of last week's weather was the bitterly cold and strong easterly wind. It literally blew most of the snow off the smallholding.


There were strange noises going on everywhere with snow sliding and ice creaking. All a bit creepy. But a small thud from the conservatory sounded different. I went to investigate and there, lying on its side in the snow, was a blue tit. It was hardly moving. I guessed the snow must have confused it as until now we've not had any birds fly into the windows.
Then I noticed another one! Just a couple of feet away. This one was face down in the snow and completely motionless.

I gently picked up the first. It just laid in my hand, moving a little but looking none too good. I rolled my jumper up around it. Then for the second. This one I was sure was dead. I carefully pushed my hand into the snow and lifted the tiny bird. Suddenly it came to life and looked much more lively than the first. I put them both into my trapper's hat for a couple of minutes to warm up.

The pattern the second had made in the snow can only be described as a blue tit snow fairy!

Then it was time to release them. There would be absolutely no point holding on to them any longer. The livelier of the two flitted off up into a tree. The other just sat on my hand for several minutes. I tossed it into the air, half expecting it to flop back down into the snow, but it too headed off over the sheep paddock and into the hedge.
Whether each bird survived the cold spell I will never know. If they did, they certainly had a close shave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...