Saturday 16 September 2017

Flying Young Cannibals part 2

Three days in the stables and the Muscovy ducklings' wings were all healed.
Remarkably the three perpetrators of the crime for some reason do not peck each other.

I decided to get the nine ducklings out of the stable and drive them back down to the chicken enclosure. The operation went pretty smoothly and the ducklings were overjoyed to find Elvis waiting for them. If only I could convey the contentedness of their quacks.



I left them be and took the dogs around the perimeter walk.

But on my return, maybe 20 minutes later, four of the ducklings had bloody wings again. How frustrating!


I needed to separate them out again, but this time I decided it should be the perpetrators of the crime who should be the ones to be incarcerated in the stable away from their surrogate mum.
It didn't take long to catch one in the act. Capturing it was a bit more of a struggle, but fortunately ducklings are not wonderfully designed for running. I knew that if I chased it around a bit it would eventually topple forwards and I could catch it. Muscovy ducks are actually tree ducks and have quite sharp claws plus the ability to squirt unmentionables from their back end. I carried the little blighter up to the stables. There was no dignity for it along the way.



Returning to the chicken pen and peckers number 2 and 3 soon became obvious. They too were transported to the stables.

And that is where things stand at the moment. A day later and the nine ducklings' wings have already healed and none of them are harassing the others.




It is much better having just the three ducklings in the stables, a lot less messy, though I suspect they will need to stay there until the others are a lot bigger.

I rather suspect that the three culprits are the drakes of the pack, in which case I very much look forward to eating them! A drake Muscovy will easily serve 6.

Meanwhile Priscilla's little flock of four are growing fast and presenting no such problems thank goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...