Saturday 9 February 2013

Water, Water... Not Everywhere!

News update... I found the glove. But not yet the camera!


The one positive side to nine months of constant rain last year was that it considerably eased the job of keeping the animals (and plants) adequately supplied with water. We have several water butts and baths scattered around the land for water collection and for the last nine months we've not had to use the hose pipe or the outside tap at all.
But today the water butts were empty. The pigs are getting through about five buckets of water a day and the ducks and geese like to climb into every water container going, splashing about and generally doing their best to empty said container!

So today I finally had to top up all the baths with the hosepipe and fill the buckets from the outside tap.

But there is a major advantage to this change in the weather.
For the first time since I can remember, I was able to put a spade into the ground and turn the soil today.

Just one of the 52 veg beds, and the soil was still rather heavy, but things are looking up. Let's just hope that the weather shows a bit more balance this year. Months of drought followed by months of rain have not given us the best two years to start our venture.
But I've got a very good feeling about 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...