Friday 21 December 2012

Eggs back online

Eggs for sale
Friday 21st December 2012
Here we are. The shortest day of the year. A measly seven and a half hours between sunrise and sunset.

When I think about this, about how the earth, the moon, the sun all interact, it makes me feel very small. I sort of know how it all works, but I couldn't really explain it. And I am happy with this situation. I don't need to understand it, I can just accept it and lead my life around it.

But there is a bigger question. One which I cannot answer.

How can a chicken, with a brain allegedly the size of a pinhead, know that the sun has gone down one minute later than yesterday?
For as soon as this happened, our chickens started laying again. From a paltry one egg a day, if we were lucky, suddenly we had 3 a day for the last two days and then, today, five eggs.

For the first time in a long while the egg-skelta is full and I am eating gorgeously yellow omelettes for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...