Sunday 29 January 2012

More Signs Of Spring

Sunday 29th January 2012
A thin, icy mist hung in the air as a blood red sun glared between the clouds.
A wafer thin layer of ice and the slightest of frosts betrayed the night's dip below zero.

Spring Is In The Air
Over the course of last week the birds clearly judged that spring was springing. The Great Spotted Woodpecker has been drumming out his territory and a Common Buzzard was seen carrying a beak full of twigs for nest material. This is a very encouraging sign. The spread of these birds into the south and east of the country over the first part of this century has been remarkable.
On the way to school last week I decided to take the back road and was lucky to be able to watch a group of 10 Goosanders, 5 gleaming drakes and 5 greyer females, on South Holland Main Drain just by Coy Bridge. The males were tossing their heads back and generally trying to outdo each other and impress the females. Doubtless trying to secure a mate before their journey back to their breeding grounds. A pair of hares were being romantic in a field too. I must say, hares appear to be sprinters rather than long distance stamina merchants!
As I planted trees on Thursday, I did so to the sight and sound of two singing skylarks, hovering high up in the air, broadcasting their beautiful song and singing out the onset of spring.
Then, yesterday evening, as I was tidying the bed around the honeyberry bushes (well, more a very small collection of twigs), I heard the repeated mournful hoots of the Little Owl, technically a song, designed to attract a mate and warn off any rivals.
And all week, the loud "teacher, teacher, teacher" song of the Great Tit, always the first to anticipate the end of winter and hail the new season.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still get a taste of winter at its harshest before the spring equinox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...