Friday 6 January 2012

Hedgerow Jam, Here We Come.

The courier van appeared at 11 o'clock. I'd just finished mending the wheelbarrow and had started to move the hay stack. Anyway, all jobs have been put on hold, since from experience it is important to get bareroot trees planted as soon as possible, especially if you can take advantage of good weather and good soil conditions.
I impatiently opened the 4 packages to check the order. I was impressed with the quality of the trees I received. Thanks to Ashridge Nurseries of Castle Cary. I was also reminded that I did not have 137 trees to plant. I had 188! One of the items was actually a whole hedge.

Here's what 188 trees look like.
Hopefully in a couple of years they'll be looking a little more impressive.
So, after changing my mind several times about the location of the edible hedge, I prepared the ground and set to planting. By dark I'd managed to get 50 trees in. The last went in by feel rather than sight. In a few years the jams and jellies will be flooding out courtesy of this hedgerow. Just imagine what I can concoct with elder berries, hazelnuts, wild pears, dog rose hips, blackberries, sloes, hawthorn hips, crab apples and cherry plums.

Other stuff
Another cow got onto the road today. They provide an excellent traffic calming measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...