Friday 13 January 2012

Elvis Is In The House

Friday 13th January 2012
After what I wrote yesterday, this is what I woke up to this morning. A beautiful sunrise, a crisp sky and a crisp ground. Not too heavy a frost though. Luckily I topped up all the water troughs yesterday and at this time of year that lasts the pigs and chickens several days. Just a welly heel to break the surface, although a sharp kick was required this morning. Cold enough too to mean that the last few trees could not get finished this morning. With the colder spell set to stay for a few days, I am hoping the soil will thaw out by the afternoon tomorrow so I can cross that job off the list. I won't push my luck though as the trees are fine while they're dormant.

An Introduction to Elvis.
6 eggs from the girls this morning, though they weren't all easy to get to. Elvis (pictured below, see if you can guess which one she is) had firmly ensconced herself in the laying box and was moving for no man and no chicken. A queue was rapidly building up.

Elvis is our broody hen who has already hatched two batches of eggs for us. However, later in the day she was out and about scratching round the farm so I guess she was only momentarily considering the idea of being a mum again. I will explain this whole delightful process of going broody in a future blog, when Elvis or one of the others decides it's time to sit.
Two of the fowl which Elvis has incubated so far (the two on the left).
This is a long story, best saved for another day.
Elvis's most recent hatchling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...